Important information about Salon Swift on your networked computer / laptop
Once you have Salon Swift on your laptop or home PC you can enjoy the benefits of looking at figures after hours, keeping an eye on daily progress when not in the business and lots of other useful things.
There are some important things to consider though, and it's highly recommend you have a good read of this email.
There is no server:
- Salon Swift does not use a central server. This is incredibly safe, as, if a server crashes or goes down every machine goes down. Salon Swift on the other hand, allows your machines to run independently of each other, regardless of if one machine goes down.
- Due to this, each machine on the network, including your laptop, has its own database.
- The way they stay the same as each other is they "synch" with each other as they make changes. It's a bit like a conversation:
Your Laptop: "I've been turned off for 2 days, what changes has there been since I was last here?"
Reception Machine: "Well, we've created these appointments, changed these service prices, added a new staff member, etc etc"
Your Laptop: "OK, I have that info now, let's double check it's all OK"
Reception Machine: "Yes, that info is the same as mine, looks like we're all synched and up to date".
A bit cheesy, but you get the idea.
How can I check that they're in synch and my laptop matches the reception machine?
There's some quick, visual icons to tell you what's happening.
When you login to Salon Swift, on the bottom left, you'll see some icons above your name:
This is what they represent:
What you're looking for, is to load Salon Swift on the laptop, wait for the "Synch in Progress" icon to start. Then, after time, wait for it to turn into the "Synch Complete" icon.
This usually only takes a few seconds to maybe a minute, depending on how long ago it was that you last did a synch, and how much has changed since they last spoke to each other.
What problems can arise?
Glad you asked, and this is VERY important.
- If you have a busy reception machine and things are changing all the time (lots of appointments, new clients, histories etc), then your laptop and the reception machine can have very different databases within a matter of a week. (This is assuming you've not turned on your laptop's Salon Swift in all this time.)
- The larger the difference between the two databases, the more chance there is of a conflict of information.
- In a conflict of 2 sets of information, Salon Swift will use a clever logic that looks for the newest change to the database with other rules to determine what's the best information to use.
How can I stop any problems then?
- The best way is to make sure you load up Salon Swift at LEAST every week and let it fully synch before exiting it.
- If you have more than one database on your laptop (you have multiple salons), then you must load them all up, at least once a week, make sure they're fully synched before exiting.
What else should I know?
That's really it. Salon Swift in day to day networking situations happily synch's its data with other machines in the network. As long as you regularly connect your laptop to the other machines by turning it on at least once a week all should be fine. Try not to leave it many weeks between synching and definitely not many months between synching. Although we've seen Salon Swift synch happily after months without a connection, by doing this it simply increases the chance of something going wrong if left too long between synchs.
If you have any questions or some of the above isn't clear, simply get in touch and we'll help out however we can.